10 Things I Wish I Had Done Before I Left the Narcissist
Prepare to have a better outcome than I did
- I wish I had documented the abuse. I should have made recordings of him yelling and cursing at me. I should have recorded him being abusive to the children.
- If I had started a part-time job and saved as much money as possible I could have had my own home for the children sooner.
- I would have documented how much parenting I did vs. how much my ex-husband did to show who the children were the most comfortable with.
- I would have gotten my own cell phone so my ex-husband couldn’t track me and spy on me after I left.
- I should have consulted with attorneys and possibly initiated a divorce.
- I needed a safety plan.
- I wish I had a plan to get out and protect myself and the children legally and physically during the divorce.
- I should have documented his cheating.
- I should have known about our financial situation.
- I would have sold or gotten rid of anything of mine I didn’t want or need to make moving easier and so he wouldn’t have anything to try to control me with.
There are many more things I should have done before I was forced to leave. I was beginning to save money and think about a safety plan but had no idea the end of my marriage was on the horizon.
You can’t predict the future anyway. I now believe every woman and especially stay-at-home moms should have at least $5000 put aside for an emergency fund. Many things can happen besides realizing your husband is a cheating narcissist and leaving for your safety.
You deserve to live in freedom and peace.